A few months back I was washing a brush in the studio and wound up with this beautiful soft lilac sudsy mess in my hands which I didn't want to rinse away. I showed my friend, Lauren, and she handed me a piece of paper and told me to experiment. So I slapped the suds onto the page and we let it sit for a few hours to see what would happen.

Experiments are fun. They're freeing and light and easy.

It's easy to get really stuck in this place of thinking and overthinking and not making anything at all and not doing anything at all because you're so stuck in your head instead of getting your hands coated in beautiful soapy lilac suds. Allowing accidents to happen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's important to exercise. To continue doing and making and playing.

To play. To allow yourself to have fun and discover and find excitement and interest in the things you make.

To be aware. To realize when something is becoming more of a chore. And to know when you have the opportunity to change it if you can.

I just want to make again. I think this is me craving to get my hands dirty again. I haven't made anything for me in more than a month. I've been a little scattered with art and life lately, but that's normal when you're months away from graduating from college. I think this is me trying to figure it out. Trying to piece it all together and hopefully reach some sort of realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment